Where Are Matthew Eappen Parents Deborah and Sunil Eappen Now In 2022? Investigation Discovery Looks Back At The Case That Shocked The Nation


Louise Woodward (pictured recently left) ( Source : instagram )

Deborah and Sunil Eappen, the parents of Matthew Eappen, work as anesthesiologists and ophthalmologists on the side. They started the Matty Eappen Foundation after losing their son, which devastated them.

Mattew Eappen was an 8-month-old boy killed by his nanny, Lousie Woodward. Matthew Eappen went into a coma five days after being admitted to Children's Hospital in Boston. He passed away on February 9, 1997, from a subdural hematoma and a shattered skull.

In addition, a month earlier, an injury that went unreported and undiagnosed was discovered to be a fractured wrist. Ophthalmologist Lois E.H. Smith at the hospital noticed retinal hemorrhages that were thought to be indicative of shaken-baby syndrome.

Deborah and Sunil Eappen, Matthew Eappen's parents, said in a statement at the time of the organization's founding that the Foundation was established in his honor to improve the safety and welfare of children by educating people about the risks of shaking a child and helping victims and their families. The sad case of Matthew Eappen made international headlines when adolescent nanny Louise Woodward was charged with shaking the eight-month-old to death.

Where Are Matthew Eappen Parents, Deborah And Sunil Eappen, Now In 2022?

When Louise Woodward was first accused of murder in the second degree, she faced a prison sentence (via The New York Times). Instead, the judge sentenced her to time served, meaning that Woodward spent 279 days in jail after the conviction was modified to a count of involuntary manslaughter.

Furthermore, the Eappens sued Woodward in court in 1999. Woodward's "Killer Nanny" trial had been a media circus, and the Happens feared she would start making money from tabloid or documentary deals. The Eappens won this latest legal battle: Woodward is not permitted to capitalize on the tale of her relationship with Matty Eappen.

Matthew (pictured) died of brain injuries just 10 weeks after Woodward started the au pair job
Matthew (pictured) died of brain injuries just 10 weeks after Woodward started the au pair job( Source : Dailymail )

Similarly, the Cinemaholic claims that Sunil and Deborah Eappen are both doctors who still work in Massachusetts. Sunil is the chief medical officer of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, while Deborah practices ophthalmology and currently sees patients in Concord. According to Hello! Magazine, they now have three kids.

In the wake of their son's untimely death, Deborah and Sunil founded the Matty Eappen Foundation, which offers information and assistance about abusive head trauma. Deborah is listed as the foundation's president, and Sunil is listed as a board member in a 2020 entry.

What Happened To The Killer Nanny Louise Woodward?

In Newton, Massachusetts, the United States, Louise Woodward (born 1978), a former au pair from the United Kingdom, was found guilty of the involuntary homicide of eight-month-old Matthew Eappen.

Additionally, The Killer Nanny: Did She Do It?, a documentary that examined the case from both the prosecution's and the defense's points of view, was broadcast on Channel 4 in the UK in 2022.

Debbie smiles alongside Matthew and his brother Brendan
Debbie smiles alongside Matthew and his brother Brendan ( Source : Mirror )

When Matthew passed away, Woodward was murdered after being initially detained for assault and battery on February 5. A grand jury in March decided upon a first-degree murder accusation. She was housed in the maximum security section of MCI-Framingham prison until her trial.

After 26 hours of deliberations, the jury found her guilty of second-degree murder on October 30, 1997. The next day, Judge Zobel gave her a life sentence and a minimum of 15 years to be served.

Did Louise Woodward Go To Jail? Her Whereabouts Today

When Louise Woodward was found guilty of killing Matthew Eappen, an 8-year-old boy, she was sentenced to prison. Exhibit A, a Boston law journal, dubbed Woodward the "most notorious criminal convicted in Massachusetts" in 2007. Louise was sentenced to 15 years in prison, but after winning an appeal to have her conviction reduced to involuntary manslaughter, she was freed after only 279 days.

Woodward was released when her sentence was commuted to time served (279 days). Gerald Leone, an assistant district attorney, challenged the judge's ruling in the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. Additionally, Woodward's attorneys requested that the court overturn her manslaughter conviction. The court upheld the guilty verdict by a vote of 7 to 0.

On June 16, 1998, the court dismissed the prosecution's appeal against downgrading the verdict and sentence to involuntary manslaughter in a 4-3 split ruling. Woodward then made his way back to the UK.


Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form