What Happened To The Guy Who Killed Chris Kyle? Murderer Eddie Ray Routh Update Today

  Ex-Marine Eddie Ray Routh shot and killed Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield ( Source : Dailymail )

In Texas, America's deadliest sniper Chris Kyle was slain on February 3, 2013.

Two men, Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield, were shot and killed at the Rough Creek Lodge firing range not far from Chalk Mountain, Texas.

Kyle, a former Navy SEAL, and his friend Littlefield set up targets as they walked down the range when Eddie Ray Routh fired, striking both of them.

What Happened To The Guy Who Killed Chris Kyle? 

Following a Texas jury's conviction of Eddie Ray Routh for the murder of Chris Kyle, a former U.S. Navy SEAL whose book was made into the blockbuster film "American Sniper," Routh was given a life penalty without the prospect of parole.

In February 2013, at a location of shooting range about 110 kilometers Southwest of Fort Worth, Routh, a 25-year-old former U.S. Marine, gunned down Kyle and Kyle's buddy Chad Littlefield. According to the prosecution, he attacked the two from behind and waited for Kyle to finish loading his gun at the shooting range before opening fire.

Routh had been battling what the mental health had labeled post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), even though his symptoms pointed to a more severe mental condition.

Chris Kyle was a United States Navy SEAL sniper
Chris Kyle was a United States Navy SEAL sniper ( Source : Dmagazine )

According to reports, they had brought Routh to a shooting range to treat his PTSD. Routh was a schizophrenic patient who had spent at least two years in and out of mental facilities.

Kyle was shot six times, which punctured his aorta and another to the jaw, causing significant spinal cord damage. Littlefield was struck seven times, four of which were deadly. One of the bullet wounds was to the top of Littlefield's head, indicating that it was fired when he was already on the ground.

Where Is Eddie Ray Routh? Killer Update Today

Eddie Ray was brought to the Erath County Jail to be held on a $3 million bail after being charged with two charges of capital murder in February 2013.

The son of Raymond and Jodi Routh, Eddie Ray Routh was born on September 30, 1987, in Lancaster, Texas. He was 25 years of age when he committed the murder.

His trial was initially scheduled to start on May 5, 2014. However, it was postponed to give additional time to fulfill DNA testing criteria. On February 11, 2015, the trial got underway.

Routh was given a life sentence without the possibility of parole by the trial judge, Jason Cashon, right away. In Texas' Brazoria County, Routh is detained at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Ramsey Unit.

Eddie Ray Routh Was A Paranoid Schizophrenic

The specialist claimed that Routh had paranoid delusions and schizophrenia. Routh's defense team contended that he should be found not guilty because of his insane state at the time of the murders.

"I knew if I did not take his soul, he was going to take mine.", Routh confessed to the Texas Rangers in a filmed confession, referring to Kyle.

Image of Eddie Routh at his murder trial
Image of Eddie Routh at his murder trial ( Source : Thetrace )

After graduating high school, he fulfilled his lifelong dream of enlisting in the Marine Corps. In September 2007, he was sent to a facility close to Baghdad, where he spent six months working as a jail guard and fixing weapons.

Then he went to work on a humanitarian mission in Haiti in January 2010. After serving in the Marine Corps for about seven years, he received an honorable discharge in July 2011. 

Late in July 2011, Routh received a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder from doctors at the Veterans Hospital, and antipsychotics and antidepressants were administered. He had made suicidal threats and was having auditory hallucinations and paranoia.

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form